Contouring your face can sound like an intimidating task that should be left to the professionals. Whether you want to make your face look thinner, your nose longer, or make your cheekbones stand out, contouring is the quickest and easiest way to change the overall look of your face. Since your face is a combination of light and shadows, adding a darker contour shade creates false shadows which give the appearance of depth.
Below I am going to show you some quick and easy ways to contour your face. :-)
Contouring with Cream
- Use a cream concealer that is two shades darker than your skin tone.
- Use your finger to apply under the cheekbones.
- Add a small amount under the chin.
- To thin your nose, apply on each side beginning at the bridge of the nose.
- Set with powder.
Contouring with Powder
- Use an angled brush and a pressed powder 2 shades darker than your skin.
- Use the same tricks as with the cream, only using your brush instead of your finger.
- Use a clean brush to buff out any harsh lines.
- Coastal Scents Camo Quad
- MAC Mineralized Skinfinish (or a bronzer of your choice) – (Amazon) (eBay)
- NARS Loose Powder – (Amazon) (eBay)
- Makeup Geek Blush Brush (Makeup Geek Store)
- Kabuki Brush – Any Kind
Ring worn in this video: Exquisitely Yours Boutique on eBay
- Not everyone needs to contour- if you feel that your cheekbones are prominent or that your face is thin, it is best not to contour as you may appear too “chiseled”
- ALWAYS choose a cream or powder that is just 2 shades darker than your skin- any darker, and it looks unnatural
- If you use cream to contour, make sure to apply after your foundation and before your setting powder
- It takes practice getting the contour technique down as each face is different, so don’t give up!
Posted in Makeup Basics on (last modified: February 24, 2016)