Makeup Geek is proud to be a cruelty-free brand! We are committed to providing high-quality cosmetics that are animal friendly. You can trust that our labs, manufacturers, and ingredient suppliers DO NOT test on animals. We have begun to discuss cruelty-free certification with PETA.
Transparency is important to us, and we want you to know that ALL Makeup Geek products are cruelty free and MOST Makeup Geek products are vegan.
Cruelty Free vs. Vegan: What’s the difference?
- Cruelty Free = No Animal Testing
- Vegan = No Animal Ingredients or Byproducts
Animal byproducts like milk, lanolin, carmine, honey, and royal jelly are commonly used in cosmetics. Some of our products include carmine (red pigment derived from insects), which prevents them from being designated as vegan. The aforementioned products are:
- Blushes in the shades Covet, Puppy Love, Rendezvous, Romance Soulmate, and XOXO contain Carmine
- Eyeshadows in the shades Americano, Beaches and Cream, Bitten, Carnival, Cherry Cola, Chit Chat, Concrete Jungle, Cosmopolitan, Country Girl, Cupcake, Curfew, Desert Sands, Drama Queen, Duchess, Fashion Addict, Hot Pants, Mango Tango, Motown, Pillow Talk, Poppy, Razzleberry, Rebel, Simply Marlena, Sin City, Sorbet, Taboo, Tuscan Sun, Twilight, Unexpected, Unicorn, Vintage, Wild West and Wisteria contain Carmine.
- Duochrome Eyeshadows in the shades Phantom, Ritzy, Blacklight, Secret Garden, Mai Tai, Karma, and Havoc contain Carmine.
- Makeup Geek X MannyMUA Palette – the shades in Aphrodite, Beaches & Cream, Cosmopolitan, and Mars contain Carmine
- Duochrome Pigments in the shades of Wild Fire and Hologram contain Carmine.
- Full Spectrum Eye Liner Pencils – the shades Orchid and Royal contain Carmine.
- Sparklers in the shades Zodiac and Halo contain Carmine.
- Contour Powders – all our Contour Powders are carmine free and vegan.
- Makeup Geek X Kathleen Lights Highlighter Palette — all shades in the palette are carmine free and vegan.
- Single Highlighters in the shades of Glitz, Firework, Rekindle, Celestial, and Ablaze contain Carmine.
- Pigments – all our current loose pigments are Carmine-free and vegan :)
- Plush – all of our Plush Matte and Creme shades are Carmine-free and vegan
- Iconic Lipstick – each Iconic lipstick is Carmine-free and vegan
- Showstopper Creme Stain – each Showstopper Creme Stain is Carmine-free and vegan
- Foiled Lip Glosses in the shades Acoustic and Headliner contain Carmine
- Foiled Pigments in the shades Enchanted, Firefly, Hocus Pocus, Illusion, and Telepathic contain Carmine
- Foiled Eyeshadows in the shades Center Stage, Caitlin Rose, Whimsical, Daydreamer, High Wire, Hype, Plot Twist and Masquerade contain Carmine.
The Makeup Geek staff are not vegan experts, and do not claim to be. To ensure that our vegan products are properly represented as such, we’ve worked with many authorities in the cosmetic industry to have our complete ingredient decks reviewed for accuracy. We can confirm that the Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate and Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride ingredients we use are both synthetic and NOT animal based.
We invite you to check out our Vegan Eyeshadow Bundle — a hand-selected lineup of some of our most beautiful VEGAN eyeshadows (includes two of our fan-favorite Foiled Eyeshadow formulas!).