Sometimes when people think of crimping their hair they think of the 80’s. I’m an 80’s fan (I am an 80’s baby ;-) ) but I don’t want to rock big hair, blue shadow and pink lipstick! Well, not all together anyways :-)! Naturally I have straight as a ruler hair, so I love to add volume and texture. Crimping is a fun and cute way to do it!
- To start off this look I parted Nicola’s hair into six sections using butterfly clips. Nicolas hair is pretty fine so I only used six if you have thicker hair you might want to add more sections to make it easier to move through your hair.
- Starting with the bottom section, I used ‘Its A 10 Miracle Spray’ as a heat protectant. It is very important to use a heat protectant in your hair especially if you have any chemicals, colored or lightened hair. And this hairstyle does take a lot of heat to achieve. So I highly suggest this step!
- Part the section in to two sub-sections, and clip the top sub-section up so it doesn’t get in your way.
- The size of the barrel you use determines how big or small the waves in your crimp are. I usually go for bigger barrels as I like more of a loose look.
- Open the clamp of the curling iron and place it as close to the scalp as possible and hold it for about 15 seconds. I like to hold the bottom of the hair for more control opposed to letting it hang down.
*TIP: To avoid creases close to the scalp, and add volume, I slowly turn the curling iron inwards as I make the first impression!
- The next step is to turn the curling iron upside down. So the clamp is facing the opposite way of the last step. Place hair into clamp (as you did in the last step) and press down right where the end of the last impression ended.
- Repeat this step alternating with the clamp up and down until you reach the bottom of your hair.
- Spray it lightly with hairspray, we used Ausie Hairspray. I don’t like to over spray it and make it look a little too “finished” I like it to look more movable.
- Repeat these steps with every section and sub-section of hair. This hair style does take a bit of patience!
There you go! A crimp with a looser feel! I love doing my hair like this and I hope you guys try it and enjoy it as well!
- Butterfly Clips (Amazon)
- Its A 10 Miracle Spray (Amazon) (eBay)
- Ausie Sun Touched Shine Hair Spray (Amazon) (eBay)
- Conair Bobby Pins (Amazon) (eBay)
- Hot Tools 1″ Helix Curling Iron (Amazon)
- To add more of a Boho feel we twisted in to tiny sections along the part of her hair and secured them with bobby pins.