I decided to redeem myself since last year’s ELF review fiasco, and do another review- this time of the 144 eyeshadow palette. I do not change my opinion about last year’s palettes not being worth the money- you all know that I am no makeup snob, and love many drugstore products (here’s some posts HERE on best drugstore makeup), but I will be honest and say if I like something or not.
Here’s my beliefs on where to spend your money when it comes to makeup:
- Buy high end foundations or face powders if possible, as they generally are formulated with better ingredients and provide better coverage (except the Revlon Colorstay- I have sworn by this foundation for years)
- High end brands have a wider range of brushes and will last longer especially if you’re using and washing them on a regular basis. Spend your money here as your brushes will last you many years.
- Save money by buying less expensive lipglosses, eyeliners, mascaras, and lipsticks- these are just as good if not better than high end brands. I know for fact that almost ALL eyeliners are made from the exact same lab, so don’t bother buying a high end one unless they have a color that is unique
- Save money by buying less expensive eyeshadow palettes IF you know they are good quality. Loreal HIP has some great shadows, and the 120 or 28 eyeshadow palettes put out by Mani, Coastal Scents, or BH Cosmetics (these are all manufactured from the same labs in China- FYI. ) Brands like MAC, Urban Decay, and Makeup Geek have wider range of colors for you to choose from, so if you like playing with lots of colors, buy these to supplement your other drugstore brands.
- Blushes- Milani has some great blushes, and ELF’s blushes are nice as well. I prefer spending a bit more on Tarte’s blushes as they are more organic in ingredients and don’t break me out. This product is totally up to you on how much you want to spend and how sensitive your skin is
I picked up this palette at my local Target as I wanted to see if the shadows were any different from previous ones. ELF has several different palettes that come out around the Holidays- this neutral one looked most promising :)
It has 144 eyeshadows- each shadow is about an inch square just for reference. I love the mixture of shimmery and matte finish shadows as well as colors. It has browns, nudes, silvers, and even purples and coppers. The quality isn’t bad for the price, but the shimmery shadows are better than the mattes. The mattes tend to be a bit chalky and don’t show up well, so you definitely need a primer under these.
You definitely can’t beat the price, and the palette is very eye catching as it’s so dang big! Plus there’s enough colors to play with for the entire year- haha! My main complaint is I wouldn’t wear any of the matte shadows because they don’t show up well for me, but I would use the shimmery ones :)
- Cannot beat the price for this many eyeshadows
- Great variety of colors and finishes
- Sleek plastic case so is easy to clean and carry around
- Clear lid so you can see all the colors
- Matte shadows are too chalky and not pigmented
- You will need an eye primer to keep the eyeshadows from moving while blending
Where to Buy: Target or ELF online