Does thinking about makeup brushes have your head spinning all sorts of circles?! Don’t worry, we’ve got your back, errr…face. Makeup brushes are essential to your collection (duh!) and the correct ones can greatly improve your makeup application, but which ones do you NEED? Read on for what we think are the top 10 brushes every girl should own.
Eye Shader Brush
An eye shader brush is a flat, stiff brush that’s used for packing color on the lid. You can also use the tip of the brush to smudge color under the lower lash line or to create a defined line in the crease.
- Makeup Geek Eye Shader Brush (Momentarily discontinued)- $5.99 USD (Makeup Geek Store)
Stiff Dome Brush
This brush is great for feathering out color to create a smokey eye, or blending out the crease. The bristles are stiff, making it easy to move the eye shadow where you want it.
- MAC Blending Brush #217 – $23.00 USD (Amazon) (eBay) (Macy’s) (Nordstrom)
- Makeup Geek Stiff Dome Brush – $7.99 USD (Makeup Geek Store)
This pencil-like brush is perfect for precision shading on the lid, in the crease of the eye, or along the lash line. This brush can also be used for smudging liner along the lash line, or darkening the outer-v for a dramatic look.
- MAC #219 Pencil Brush – $25.00 USD (Amazon) (eBay) (Macy’s) (Nordstrom)
- Makeup Geek Pencil Brush – $7.99 USD (Makeup Geek Store)
Soft Dome Brush
This dome shaped brush has very soft bristles that make it ideal for blending out any harsh lines below the brow bone. This brush can also be used for blending out concealer under the eye to help hide dark circles and bags.
- MAC #224 Tapered Blending Brush – $31.00 USD (Amazon) (eBay) (Macy’s) (Nordstrom)
- Makeup Geek Soft Dome Brush – $7.49 USD (Makeup Geek Store)
Bent Liner Brush
Designed specifically for applying gel eyeliner, this brush has a bent head that lays perfectly on the top of the lashes, and glides with ease. The pointed tip helps create a fool proof line that will have even the beginners pulling off a stunning cat eye.
- Makeup Geek Bent Liner Brush – $5.99 USD (Makeup Geek Store)
Dual Ended Brow Brush
With this brush, you get double for your money! This dual ended brush has a spoolie on one end allowing you to brush through your brows. The other end has an angled brush which is ideal for effortlessly filling in your brows.
- Makeup Geek Brow Brush Duo – $4.49 USD (Makeup Geek Store)
Angled Contour Brush
There are many of these on the market today in a various array of shapes and sizes. With this particular angled contour brush, you can swipe the brush downward diagonally from your cheekbone, and in one fluid motion achieve a flawless application.
- Makeup Geek Angled Contour Brush – $8.99 USD (Makeup Geek Store)
Cheek Highlighter Brush
The cheek highlighter brush is completely optional, but the feathery, soft bristles give a very nice finish to any product used with it. This brush is very easy to use when applying a highlighter to the top of the cheekbones. You can also use the cheek highlighter brush with cream blushes to stipple the blush onto the cheeks.
- MAC #188 – $35.00 USD (Amazon) (eBay) (Macy’s) (Nordstrom)
- Makeup Geek Cheek Highlighter Brush – $8.99 USD (Makeup Geek Store)
Foundation Stippling Brush
The foundation stippling brush is perfect for those of you who love a full coverage look to your foundation. The large flat head is specifically made for the foundation to be stippled onto the face. This technique assures there are no streaks in the foundation, resulting in a flawless look to the skin.
- Makeup Geek Foundation Stippling Brush – $16.99 USD (Makeup Geek Store)
Flat Foundation Brush
The flat foundation brush is optional. This brush is best used to apply highlighter to the top of the cheekbones. At times this brush can leave streaks in your foundation, so be careful when using it.
Technically, this isn’t really a brush, but it is a great tool and we didn’t want to leave it out. The egg-shaped design makes it ideal for getting under the eye and in other small areas you can easily miss with a brush. This is also used to achieve an overall airbrush finish to your foundation.
So there you have it, my top 10 makeup brushes! As a beginner looking to start your collection, or as a makeup guru looking to expand, these brushes are great for everyone. As always, I hope everyone is staying happy and healthy.
Posted in Makeup Basics on (last modified: February 25, 2016)