Hello Muggies!! Hope you all are doing well! Amber and I are back for this months Monthly Challenge. First, we would like to thank all of you that entered the January Challenge (see the entries here). We were delighted to see each and every one of your entries! You should all give yourselves a round of applause, your looks were wonderful. We hope to see you all again for this months challenge along with a lot of new participants.
This month Amber and I chose Pop Art as the theme. We hope you all are just as excited about this theme as we are! There are so, so many different color combinations, patterns, and overall looks you could do with this challenge we are absolutely on the edge of our seat waiting to see what you will come up with! Incase you aren’t familiar with Pop Art, below is a brief run through including some examples of the movements most popular artists and their work.
Born in Britain, Pop Art began in the mid 1950s, and in America soon to follow. The Pop Art Movement is art inspired by sources in popular and commercial culture such as Hollywood, advertising, comic books, pop music, and packaging. It includes impersonal and everyday mundane objects as it’s subjects.
Andy Warhol being one of the most well known artists today from this visual art movement, has a large body of work for you to gain inspiration from. He was famous for his commercial illustrations, and became internationally known as a painter, avant-garde filmmaker, record producer, author and from being in cahoots with wildly diverse social circles. Based on the same photograph he created a multitude (over twenty), of silk screen paintings like the one below, of Marilyn Monroe.
Roy Lichtenstein started his artistic career as an abstract expressionist, and radically changed his style into what we all know him by today, a Pop Artist. He is now considered to be one of the most well known Pop Artists. Famous for his use of Benday dots, he created comic books and also did product advertising. He used dynamic bright colors and thick bold lines that portrayed reality as it is seen through mass media and photography. He uses everyday ideas from commercials and advertising.
As you can see I only chose two artists to share with you as examples. However, there is an enormous amount of other Pop Artist you can choose as your inspiration. This challenge may take an extra bit of research from some of you to find that perfect work of art that will inspire you to create your new makeup look, but we are confident you are up for the task! Use your imagination, be creative and have fun! The creativity potential this challenge holds is limitless, so here is your chance to be dramatic, bold, colorful, daring, whatever you are feeling, and run with it! An explanation is not a requirement, however, we do encourage an explanation of your look as it helps us understand better why you may have chose certain colors/patterns, and ultimately may help increase your chance of winning.
Last but not least, here are the details (rules, and prize) for the challenge.
Winners will be contacted by the end of the month, and announced in the upcoming month’s Monthly Challenge Video.
Two winners chosen: one for best look, and one at random, giving everyone a chance to win!
This month’s challenge prize is:
- Winner of best overall look: Andy Warhol themed Makeup Kit by NARS, which includes a pure matte lipstick, eyeliner, blush duo and a single eyeshadow
- Winner chosen at random: Makeup Geek Adventure Pack, which includes 5 of our most adventurous shades; Lavish, Luscious, Captivating, Fearless and Famous
- Looks must be submitted by the 20th of each month
- Open to all ages from any country
- Limited to one look per person, please do not create an alternate user name to get out of this rule
- Makeup must be done by yourself
- The spirit of these challenges is to practice and create something new, thus to enter a look into a Monthly Challenge please create a look specifically for this challenge, i.e. do not upload a photo that was taken for another purpose
- Do not edit or alter your images in any way – images that have been altered will be disqualified
- *Any entry suspected of violating these rules will be deleted, and the user disqualified. Repeat offenders will be banned from entering future competitions.
- In one of your photos, please make sure you are holding a visible sign while wearing the makeup look that you are entering in the contest that says “MUG Monthly Challenge ___(insert challenge name)___ by ___ (insert user name)___(date)___”
If you have any questions or comments concerning this months challenge please contact either Amber or Jena.
Best of luck to you all! We are excited to see what creations you come up with!
Posted in Community Challenge on (last modified: February 3, 2013)