Hi Makeup Geeks!
So I’ve been redoing my headshots lately as it’s been a few years since I’ve taken new pictures. (what can I say, it’s been busy!) I posted a couple of my pictures that Nicola took of me (which she did such a great job!) on Instagram, and many of you wanted to know how I did my makeup. So…. Here’s how I do my makeup for photoshoots plus some tips on how to get ready and what to wear!
Makeup Tips for Photoshoots
- Always wear a matte finish foundation, so your face doesn’t look oily under the hot lights or camera flashes
- To add glowiness to the skin, apply cream blush or a cheek highlighter as you want shine to be only on your cheeks (not all over your face)
- Apply more color/makeup than you wear on a daily basis, as cameras wash out 30-40% color. If your makeup looks a bit too dramatic for everyday, then it’s perfect for camera!
- For clothing, wear brighter colors as it “pops” more. If you wear neutrals, go with a pattern so there’s visual interest in your picture. Definitely avoid plain white, nude, or black clothing. Find your best color, and wear that. For me since I’m a brunette with fairer skin, purples, teals, and greens look best on me.
- If you can, wear false lashes. The singles or the half lashes work great and come across more natural. (You obviously don’t want dramatic drag queen lashes for your headshots if you normally don’t wear much makeup everyday ;) ) If you’re not comfortable with false lashes, be sure to apply a good 2-3 coats of mascara. This is to make sure your eyes stand out and don’t disappear in the brighter lights.
- Eve Pearl Salmon Concealer – (Makeup Geek Store)
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation – (Amazon) (eBay)
- Cover FX Pressed Mineral Foundation – (Amazon) (Sephora)
- Kat Von D Blush – “Truth” – (Amazon) (eBay)
- Stila Convertible Color – “Lillium” – (Amazon) (eBay)
- Guerlain Terracotta Bronzer 01 – (Amazon) (eBay)
- MAC Paintpot – “Painterly” – (Amazon) (eBay)
- Rimmel Brow Pencil – “Hazel” – (Amazon) (eBay)
- Makeup Geek Eyeshadow – Drama Queen (Pan Version / Compact Version)
- Makeup Geek Eyeshadow – Fairytale – (Pan Version / Compact Version)
- Makeup Geek Eyeshadow – Unexpected – (Pan Version / Compact Version)
- Makeup Geek Eyeshadow – Beaches and Cream – (Pan Version / Compact Version)
- Makeup Geek Pigment – Birthday Wish – (Makeup Geek Store)
- Revlon Colorstay Liquid Liner – Black – (Amazon) (eBay)
- Loreal Voluminous Mascara – (Amazon) (eBay)
- Beauty Blender – (Makeup Geek Store)
- Makeup Geek Blush Brush – (Makeup Geek Store)
- Makeup Geek Outer V Brush – (Makeup Geek Store)
- MAC 239 Brush – (Amazon) (eBay)