Hello classy Makeup Geeks! :) (I can’t call you beautiful EVERY time or you may get too big headed ;) jk!)
I’ve been trying to tape this brow video for years. Yes, years. Every time I’ve taped it, the sound or picture quality has been bad or I jacked up my brows some how- haha! Not sure if it’s a sign? I FINALLY got a decent video to show you how I do my brows. Please note, my brows aren’t the easiest to work with so they’re not exactly as I’d like them. But the tips I give will hopefully still help you achieve YOUR perfect brows!
- Too Faced Brow Pencil – “Browny” (Amazon) (Sephora)
- MAC Paintpot – “Quite Natural” (Amazon) (eBay)
- Anastasia Brow Gel – “Medium Taupe” (Sephora)
- Makeup Geek Dual Ended Brow Brush (Makeup Geek Store)
- *Matte finish brown eyeshadow (tan if you are blonde)- fill in with this if you want a very natural brow. Sometimes pencil is too harsh for a more natural look…
10 Tips to Perfect Brows:
- Get your brows professionally waxed or threaded every now and then if budget permits.
- If you find someone who does this for a living, he/she can give you a great shape to your brows. The goal is to have the arch of the brow just outside your pupil.
- Thicker is better.
- Generally, fuller brows portray youth, so obviously keeping them thicker makes you look younger :) You still want to shape them, but go easy on the tweezers! Yes you. Put the tweezers down. Step away….
- Shape accordingly.
- Ideally you want the inner part of your brow to be thicker, then taper to a thinner line as it goes toward your temple. Again, the arch should be just outside your pupil.
- For super dark brows, you may need to lighten them.
- If you have fair skin and very dark brows, you may need to lighten them. Because my skin is fair and my brows are black, I bleach them slightly with facial bleach to make them less harsh. Leave the bleach on only for 5 minutes or you will have orange brows! (Trust me, I learned this from experience. I had Ronald McDonald brows for 3 weeks last year…)
- NEVER EVER fill in your brows with black pencil
- Unless you want the black sharpie brows, just please… don’t do this. Even if you have black brows, you want to fill them in with a dark brown- not black.
- Find brow powders/pencils/gels with a khaki tint to them- not red.
- Because hair naturally has a khaki undertone to it, using a brow pencil that has a touch of khaki color will look more natural. For whatever reason, most companies have reddish tinted brow products. This color just screams “Fake!”
- The best products I’ve found is Rimmel’s Brow Pencil in “Hazel” or Makeup Forever’s Waterproof Eyebrow Corrector in “O” or “2″. (0 is good for blondes or fair skin brunettes, 2 is good for dark haired beauties)
- For the most natural brows, use powder instead of pencil.
- For time sake, I didn’t show this in the video (sorry!). But for the most natural brows, use a matte finish tan or brown eyeshadow to fill in with. Take an angled brow brush and apply shadow to sparse areas. The best color for blondes is MAC’s eyeshadow in “Symmetry” or “Wedge“. For brunettes, it’s MAC’s eyeshadow in “Cork“.
- Shade accordingly.
- Not the entire brow is going to be the same darkness all throughout. Generally, the arch and the tail of the brow should be the most defined and the darkest. The inner part should be slightly more sparse and lighter.
- See Kim K’s brows below- they’re a bit more sparse in the inner part of the brow. Also, cut the hairs here a bit shorter so they “sprout” a bit more
- Clean up around the edges.
- For very defined and “clean” brows, take a small flat brush and apply creamy concealer under the brows to tidy up the edges. You probably don’t need this step for everyday, but for those more defined brows to go with dramatic looks, this helps sharpen them a bit.
- Tame the strays!
- I don’t know about you, but my brows are slightly curly and crazay! I have to keep them in place with a brow gel. Anastasia makes some amazing ones in different colors that is great for on the go. I also like MAC’s eyebrow wax pencils as they keep the brows shaped nicely throughout the day.
Here’s the best brow products for brunettes with fair skin:
- Gel: Make Up For Ever Waterproof Brow Corrector in “0″ (Amazon)
- Pencil: Rimmel Brow Pencil in “Hazel” (Amazon)
- Cream: MAC Paintpot in “Quite Natural” (Amazon) (eBay)
- Powder: MAC Eyeshadow in “Cork” (Amazon) (eBay) (Nordstrom)
- Setting Gel: Anastasia Brow Gel in “Medium Taupe” (Sephora)
The best brow products for brunettes with medium to dark skin:
- Gel: Make Up For Ever Waterproof Brow Corrector in “2″ or “4″ (Amazon)
- Pencil: Too Faced Brow Pencil in “Brown-y” (Amazon) (Sephora)
- Cream: MAC Fluidline in “Dipdown” (Amazon) (eBay) (Nordstrom)
- Powder: MAC Eyeshadow in “Charcoal Brown” (Amazon) (eBay) (Nordstrom)
- Setting Gel: Anastasia Brow Gel in “Rich Dark Brown” (Amazon) (Sephora)
The best brow products for blondes:
- Gel: Make Up For Ever Aqua Brow in “Light Blonde” (Sephora)
- Pencil: Too Faced Brow Pencil in “Blonde-y” (Amazon) (Sephora)
- Cream: MAC Paintpot in “Groundwork” (Amazon) (eBay)
- Powder: MAC Eyeshadow in “Wedge” (Amazon) (eBay) (Nordstrom)
- Setting Gel: Anastasia Brow Gel in “Golden Taupe” (Amazon) (Sephora)