Discussion Forums

Join the conversation with other Makeup Geeks

Home Forums Reviews & Swatches The concealer hunt – my official review! 12 concealer suggestions

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Amy Amy 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Amy
    Amy

Hi fellow MUGs!

With the cold Canadian winter heading my way, my dark under eye circles are officially creeping up on me and my sheer summer concealer no longer does the trick! And so, my under eye concealer hunt began.

I really had no budget for this. Mainly because I want my under eye circles to be gone and didn’t care what I had to do to get rid of them.

So, I want to share with you a few concealers I’ve stumbled across. I feel I have a pretty good mix for those of you who are on a budget, as well as for those not on a budget! So, there’s something for everyone. :) (I apologize in advance for the Canadian pricing, however, I live in Canada, so Canadian prices are all I know. :P If you’re in the U.S., the prices will be lower than what I have listed)!

Just to give you a reference point, I’m an NC25 at MAC (in case you’re trying to figure out what colour you might be).

1. Bourjois Healthy Mix Correcting Concealer in #52 ($19 CAN): this concealer doesn’t necessarily brighten, however, it completely covers dark circles! Depending on what you’re going for (concealing vs. brightening), this might do the trick for you!

2. Maybelline’s Instant Age Rewind Eraser for Dark Circles in Light ($12.99 CAN) – this doubles as both a concealer and brightener in my book. I find the coverage of this to be medium. It’s good, for lighter circles, but if you have super heavy circles, I wouldn’t recommend it. Definitely worth a try since it’s on budget!

3. Maybelline FIT me concealer in #20 Sand and #25 Medium ($12 CAN, I believe): I got this on sale, however, Sand is too light and Medium is a tad dark, so I mix the two to get the perfect colour! The coverage on this is medium. Definitely not full, but still decent. It goes on super creamy and is super easy to blend!

4. Smashbox’s HD concealer in Light ($22 CAN): this one is a little pricey for the small amount of product you’re getting (only 8ml or 0.27 fl. oz). The coverage is good and also brightens too.

5. Benefit’s Erase Paste in Medium ($30 CAN): this acts more as a brightener than a concealer. Don’t get me wrong, it still conceals, but I feel it works best as a brightening tool prior to concealer.

6. Laura Mercier’s Secret Camouflage in SC-3 ($35 CAN): the coverage of this one is super heavy. So, if you’re looking for a full-coverage concealer, say hello to Laura Mercier. Based on my experience with this one, you have to prime under your eyes first before applying this – either with your regular face primer or an under eye primer (I like using Smashbox’s Photo Finish Hydrating Under Eye primer) for best results. When applying this one, you have to use your fingers (I know – I hate using my fingers too!). Here’s why: the consistency of this product is pretty waxy and needs warming up in order to perform properly. I’ve tried with brushes, but it doesn’t go on as well as my fingers do – then blend using a fluffy brush.

7. MAC’s Studio Finish SPF35 Concealer in NW20 ($22 CAN): I find this concealer works best when paired with a concealer primer first. Based on my experience, it tends to cake up and reveal fine lines if it isn’t primed properly. The texture of this is creamy, yet lightweight. Overall, not bad.

8. MAC’s Mineralize Concealer in NW25 ($24 CAN): this concealer is okay. The coverage is pretty sheer, so if you have very little under eye circles this one would be a good pick for you. It’s pretty good at spot correcting too.

9. MAC’s Select Cover-Up in NW25 ($22 CAN): this was my very first concealer ever! I find it works great when you have a tan (the colour I own is a little dark for my current skin tone), however, when my skin starts to fade (ie. now), I don’t find the coverage good enough to cover my under eye circles. My verdict: a good summer concealer.

10. MAC’s Prolongwear Concealer in NW25 ($22 CAN): this one is pretty good! The only negative I have to say about it is it dries far too fast. Before I even have a chance to properly blend it out, it’s already drying! Just something to keep in mind.

And the winning concealer goes to…

11. Kat Von D’s Tattoo Concealer in Light 18 ($30 CAN): this concealer comes in a squeeze tube and is super lightweight, creamy (but in a controlled way), easy to build and blend. Judging by the name of this concealer, Kat Von D’s inspiration for this was based on covering up tattoos. This being said, it’s an automatic guarantee this will cover your under-eye circles and is well worth the buy!

AND another winner…

12. Estee Lauder’s Double Wear Stay-in-Place Flawless Wear Concealer in 02 Light-Medium ($26 CAN): THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING CONCEALER EVER! First off, I absolutely LOVE the packaging. It’s a doe-foot applicator, so it glides onto the skin nicely and is super creamy. Blending is beyond effortless. This concealer is seriously foolproof. Well worth dishing out the cash.

For those of you on the concealer hunt, I really hope this helps!

Best of luck. :)
    Amy

I will definitely try Estee Lauder’s Double Wear Stay-in-Place Flawless Wear Concealer when I run out of my Tarte concealer- it just doesn’t work that well with my skin for some reason.

Thanks for this review!

Profile photo of Amy
    Amy

No problem. Glad I could help!

Let me know what you think of it. :)

Try Glamouflage from Hard candy : dupe for the Kat Von D concealer for a fraction of the price : A-MA-ZING !

Profile photo of Amy
    Amy

I want to get my hands on that one actually!

However, I can’t find it at Walmart. Haha

Sometimes Canada and the U.S. don’t carry the same products – no fun! :(

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Reviews & Swatches’ is closed to new topics and replies.