Discussion Forums

Join the conversation with other Makeup Geeks

Home Forums Makeup Chat Drag Queen Makeup Brands

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dandy Diva DandyDiva 2 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

hi everyone,

If you read my profile then you know that I absolutely love makeup. I’ve been wanting to expand my knowledge base for awhile now, so I was wondering, what is the best makeup brand out there for aspiring drag queens/makeupgurus. I would much appreciate any help that I can receive, rather its tips and techniques all the way to videos on youtube.

brooklyn.

There’s no “best” brand. Every brand has great products and not-so-great products. I’ve used wet-n-wild eye shadows that outperformed MAC, but there are also some higher end products that simply can’t be duped and I just can’t live without.

It’s all about experimenting and figuring out what works best for you and your clients. Just because a certain product is expensive, doesn’t mean it’s great. Just because something is inexpensive doesn’t mean it’s junk.

• My advice is to start with less expensive stuff. BH Cosmetics, ELF, Nyx, Rimmel and other drugstore brands– see what you like.
    • Experiment with the “cheap” stuff to get a feel for what works and what doesn’t.
    • Look up dupe lists for high-end products.
    • Get palettes, get an inexpensive (but functional) set of brushes.
    • Practice, practice, practice!

Being a good MUA is more about being skilled than having the “best” products. Now matter how amazing that $100 foundation is, if you don’t know how to apply it correctly, it’s going to look like junk regardless of the price tag.

If you start out with high-end and spend a lot of money on certain makeup just because of the brand name, I promise you that at least one product will disappoint you.

HTH!

xo

AM

I agree look into more stage makeup to start with, companies like ben nye and krylon have amazing products with tons of pigmentation and you can find them for 8-20 dollars per product depending on what your looking for.

Hope that helps

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Makeup Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.