Discussion Forums

Join the conversation with other Makeup Geeks

Home Forums Makeup Advice Best Contouring Powder?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Stephanie Saur Stephanie Saur 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Lately I’ve been trying my hand with contouring on myself. So far, I’ve tried using NYC Sunny Bronzer & Loreal’s True Match in Nut Brown – C7 (I think that’s the shade, but I’m not 100% sure though). I think these products look too orange.

I’ve read that for contouring, you should use a matte powder instead of a bronzer. I’m not having much luck finding an HG contouring powder. What does everyone else suggest?

Many a bronzer has an orange undertone to it, so aren’t good for contouring.

If you’re going to use a foundation to contour, not only does it need to be a few shades darker than your skintone, it still needs to be the correct undertone — the same as yours.

That said, it seems to me the “better” contouring shades have a greyish or ashy undertone to them. If you look at your face in a mirror in natural light, all the natural shadows will have a more grey/ashy look to them. NYX Blush in Taupe is a popular choice for contouring, particularly for fair-to-medium skins. I think MAC Eyeshadow in Omega would work, too.

You can also use creams to contour. Illamasqua Cream Pigment in Hollow seems like it’d be a good contour shade. Ben Nye also has a contouring palette.

http://camerareadycosmetics.com/products/ben-nye-media-pro-hd-cream-contour-18-color-palette.html

I use  Ben Nye Powder Rouge Contour No. 1  for clients for professional make up. But for my own everyday make up I use Benefit Hoola Bronzer or Bahama Mama by The Balm.

Hoola has a slightly orange undertone which is good for warm skin tones. But it not supposed to be way orange, of course. If you are cold skin tone and not too taned than try Ben Nye. It is not expensive and it looks like natural shadow on the face.

Thank you both for the suggestions. I have just purchased an angled contouring brush and will try again with contouring once my powder comes in the mail!

In complete seriousness, the best contour I’ve ever used is an eyeshadow from Ulta called Sable.

It’s a completely matte, gray-toned brown which is just the right contrast for my fair skin–looks very natural, while still giving me those awesome editorial-esque cheekbones. But they also carry a few other matte browns in the same grey-family if you think you need something darker. Also Ulta pots are HUGE, so it’s really easy get your brush in.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Makeup Advice’ is closed to new topics and replies.