Let’s line those eyes! Pencil, liquid and gel liners
Since ancient Egypt women have known the power of eye makeup.
Re-shaping the eye, adding depth to eyes, as an artistic expression..
Probably most women have an eyeliner of some kind in their makeup bag.
Everyone has their own favourite color and product and technique, but here’s my thoughts about eyeliners.
I also recommend that you check out Marlena’s video How To Apply Eyeliner and other thoughts about eyeliners.
Pencil liner is probably the most known liner in the market.
- + Available in countless colors and textures and it’s remotely easy to use.
- + Most pencils can be also used on waterline
- + Easy to smudge for a sultry sexy look
- - Needs to be sharpened regularly
- - Harder to create sharp, thin lines
- - Smudges easily, doesn’t necessarily last all day
- MUFE Aqua Eyes pencils (Sephora) (Amazon) (Ebay)
- Illamasqua pencils ( Illamasqua )
- NYX pencils (MakeupGeek Store)
Liquid liner comes right after pencils in popularity.
- + Comes in countless colors
- + Different tips so you can use what’s best for you
- + Usually long-lasting
- + Precise in creating thin and intense lines
- + Great for more dramatic looks
- - Needs steady hands, may not be suitable for beginners
- - Not to be used on waterline
- - May be harder to remove
Gel liners are my own personal favourites.
- + Large range of colors
- + Usually suitable for waterline
- + Long-lasting (usually waterproof)
- + Sort of combination of pencil and liquid, good for creating what ever line you desire
- + Can be used also as an eyeshadow
- - Needs a specific brush
- - May dry fast in the jar
Using pencil or gel liner on waterline:
Colored pencil liner on waterline to make eyes pop more (Illamasqua Debonair)
Different eyeliner styles:
Black gel liner applied thickly all the way.
Black pencil liner used on upper waterline (great way to add depth, make lashes look longer and eyes look more intense).
Heavy lining both on upper and lower lashline, as well on both upper and lower waterline. Great for making arabic looks.